Italy - Florence

" And in the end, we were all just humans drunk on the idea that love, 
only love, could heal our brokenness"
 - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ponte Vecchio
No better place on earth to be drunk, in love, or best of both! Italy is the right amount of crazy and does everything right - fashion, food, cars, people, nature, relaxing, loving, humor, and perspective in life, living in the moment - it's been 2 years too long since I have been back and to stay for only 24 hours is a crime, but still worth every minute.

I love the Poplar trees in Italy, they make me very sentimental for the small village my dad's family is from and the one Oak tree that represents so much to our family, not to mention Acacia Road where my grandfather lived. Some of my favorite places in the world - especially New Zealand and Central Park - are memorable because of the stunning trees. My NH side! 

Duomo
Not to minimize Florence, but it can be done quickly - 4km cab ride from the airport and you are at the heart of it all. Thanks to the stunning Savoy for the lovely room and hospitality, definitely the most idyllic spot on the Piazza della Republica, especially at night when you open the windows. 


Room with a View...Magical
As the concierge highly recommended, ditch the map and just wander around and get lost. You'll find the Ponte Vecchio, the Dumo and so much more.

Words of Italian Wisdom
The Essentials:
1) Highly recommend the Savoy for many reasons, one being their award winning spaghetti with tomato sauce - back to basics and goodness. Add an Aperol Spritz, your best friends and the patio and nothing better. Also Fernet is a perfect before sleep cocktail. Also have the cappuccino, probably best one I have ever had - truly.

2) I love stationary, I love paper, I love letter writing - I could do without the internet, sorry (ironic, yes). Short of hugging someone in person, it's the closest thing when you actually can't. With that being said, go to Il Papiro, Italy's oldest (same story from Venice post - obsessed)

Local Stationary
3) Restaurants - I don't think you can go wrong here but we went very local thanks to the Savoy and had the best pasta at Trattoria Gargani on Via Del Moro. Grab sandwiches at I Due Fratellini.

Right Italian Attitude in this Ad
4) Not enough time to shop but did stop at local grocer to stock up on pasta, oil, and balsamic. Next time, shoes and more...


And lastly, dedicate this to the one person that is as crazy in love with travel as I am, which is why a flight for 24 hours is so perfect - the most positive + amazing friend who I would travel around the world for just to have a cocktail with and give a big hug. I love you dearly Samara and congrats on the wedding - luckiest man. Love you to pieces. xo


Comments

Popular Posts